Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2016 LOI in Europe

Thanks
    vCash
    Great goal by benson

Thanks
    vCash
    Only the second best volley by an Irish team doing the second best in Europe.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tahoop For This Useful Post:

Senior Member Grays Sports Almanac's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,329 Times in 706 Posts
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoop View Post
    Only the second best volley by an Irish team doing the second best in Europe.
    Dundalk FC - The Buzz Aldrin of the Europa League

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grays Sports Almanac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hairy hoop View Post
    Great goal by benson
    A few of us were hoping he'd sign for us 18 months ago. He looks a different physical specimen now which wouldn't have happened here though.

Thanks
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whimpersnap View Post
    A few of us were hoping he'd sign for us 18 months ago. He looks a different physical specimen now which wouldn't have happened here though.
    Ah yeah but we got Killian Brennan.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 393 Posts
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grays Sports Almanac View Post
    Dundalk FC - The Buzz Aldrin of the Europa League
    Stephen Kenny in 30 years.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Professor K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 626 Posts
    vCash
    They got a decent draw tbh. Several winnable ties, where the prize money is 350k+ for a win, and half it for a draw. They also avoided the barstooler fest of drawing the English teams, where defeats are guaranteed against half interested reserve sides, and Lansdowne Road full to bursting, with 50k free adverts for a motor firm.

Their fixture list wasn't great, away first and last, but Alkmaar are one of the sides I wanted when it was our turn, instead of Kazan who we got, and you never know what kind of Israeli side you'll get in Europe. You could get a professional side like the one that almost knocked Celtic out of the European Cup, or a side like we beat in 2010. Either way, it's better than being resigned to two defeats to Paok Salonika.

Thanks
    vCash
    Alkmaar have been one of the top sides inHolland over the last decade. I used to watch them many moons ago when I lived in Holland for a while. I can't see Dundalk getting much out of their two games with them or indeed any of the games in their group. The teams they are up against have only started their season and will only be getting better and stronger by the time these ties come around whereas Dundalk will be coming to the tail end of a long hard season. The same thing happened to us.
    'They paved paradise and put up a parking lot'

Thanks
    vCash
    They might scab a point at home to macabi, apart from that zero.

Thanks
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by One Love View Post
    Alkmaar have been one of the top sides inHolland over the last decade. I used to watch them many moons ago when I lived in Holland for a while. I can't see Dundalk getting much out of their two games with them or indeed any of the games in their group. The teams they are up against have only started their season and will only be getting better and stronger by the time these ties come around whereas Dundalk will be coming to the tail end of a long hard season. The same thing happened to us.
    You are trying to debate with someone who thought we should get something out of the Spurs games as they where been beaten by teams at the lower end of the EPL that season, And PAOK because they where not much use either. Like us in 2011, these sides are probably all group stages regulars of either the CL or EL every year the last decade

Thanks
    vCash
    No, he's debating with someone who thought we could win 2 rounds of Europe that year, when pretty much everyone said it couldn't possibly happen.

When we did win two rounds after all, we then got the joint toughest group, and we got Spurs with the usual barstool circus as a result. The two sides that did qualify needed a minimum of 10 points to make it, when all you usually need is 7 or 8, sometimes less than that.

Thanks
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by One Love
    Well Alkmaar have shown why I would have preferred to get them when it was our turn. And Tel Aviv haven't been up to much either, so they are taking advantage now of what is undoubtedly an easier group than the one we got. Despite going 3-0 down in Israel, St. Petersburg are likely to be a different kettle of fish, but all they probably need is one more win to make it out of the group, taking all the plaudits with them, and it puts our current club "progress" policies in perspective.

Thanks
    vCash
    They're a better team than we were, much better, get over it.
    Last edited by number 8; 30-09-16 at 17:09.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 663 Posts
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Well Alkmaar have shown why I would have preferred to get them when it was our turn. And Tel Aviv haven't been up to much either, so they are taking advantage now of what is undoubtedly an easier group than the one we got. Despite going 3-0 down in Israel, St. Petersburg are likely to be a different kettle of fish, but all they probably need is one more win to make it out of the group, taking all the plaudits with them, and it puts our current club "progress" policies in perspective.
    Jam Mat: ROVERS SUPPORTER AND PROUD OF IT

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jam Mat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    vCash
    Your pal Roddy was on the end of some mauling tonight
    I wanted to ask you Floyd if you don't mind. In my last fight before I knocked out George Groves at Wembley Stadium in front of 80,000 fans, I worked a lot on power. So I did a lot of swimming, and I chopped down a few trees myself, and then I held my feet and then I knocked him out. And I'm not known as a one punch knock-out man. Have you been doing that yourself a little bit? Working on power?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 663 Posts
    vCash
    In My Opinion Roddy is a dressed up know nothing knacker who should never be dissused on this forum only to laugh at like you have just done
    Jam Mat: ROVERS SUPPORTER AND PROUD OF IT

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jam Mat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,809 Times in 1,261 Posts
    vCash
    While they have an easier group than we did 5 years ago credit where credit is due to Dundalk. They have put the league on the map.

But pettiness is alive and well though. Despite a former manager and 4 ex Hoops playing for them and using Tallaght to play all but one of their Euro ties all we can do is wish the cork U19s well in Europe.

KOH
    Get the job done

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NY Hoop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    vCash
    We do need to do a lot better in Europe than earlier this year, one thing Dundalk have shown is it is possible for an Irish Club to get a good run in Europe, also the luck of the draw plays a big part as well, If we get the right Coach , and some good signings along with the young players coming through like Sean Boyd, Trevor Clarke, who knows what we can do.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 371 Posts
    vCash
    While I do think that this dundalk team is stronger than our 2011 team, one thing they don't have and which we had, is an inferiority complex. We went into nearly every game hoping not to get a hiding, plus the amount of soft early goals we gave away killed us. In fairness to them they've gone looking to win games from the off.
    The last few times especially that we've played in Europe we've shown far to much respect to very poor teams, and ended up going out due to our lack of ambition more than anything.

Thanks
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jam Mat View Post
    In My Opinion Roddy is a dressed up know nothing knacker who should never be dissused on this forum only to laugh at like you have just done
    Sacked tonight from Waterford, bye bye Roddy close the door after you. ��

Thread Information