Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Serie A and all things Italian

Thanks
    Thanked 3,834 Times in 690 Posts
    vCash

Serie A and all things Italian

Just back from a pulsating derby at the Olimpico. Great craic on the Sud, buckets of passion, a 2-0 win for Roma, and all in the company of several Hoops on a stag weekend for a very special guy.
    Best moment: Chief calling John Arne Riise 'Ricer' when he was taking long throw-ins.
    Hopefully the Hoops will reciprocate next week when Romanista Rover (and his bro, Alabama Hoop) pay a visit for the FAI Cup Final.

Thanks
    vCash
    Watched it earlier. How Lazio didnt get a penalty for that Riise challenge at the far post was outrageous, they'd fairly decent shouts for penalties with that Brazillian handling it twice in the box too. Some great chances from open play too, Zarate and Hernanes I think? 2-0 seriously flattered Roma I thought but glad they won, get them back in the race

Thanks
    vCash
    Apparently Lazio fans were delighted with the choice of match official. 'One of us' etc. The ref gave Lazio everything until the penos. Even though I was at the other end of the ground I could see that Lazio should've gotten a spot-kick. Not that I'm bothered. Great chant at the end from the Sud (in response to Lazio carting an eagle around the pitch before the game): 'Where's the pigeon?'
    All in all, a super warm-up for all Hoops present ahead of next Sunday's FAI Cup decider. I just hope the lads who stayed on tonight can sober up in time for Lansdowne.

Thanks
    vCash
    What was the story with the crowd, seemed like a lot of empty spaces?

Pics; http://www.asromaultras.org/1011lazioroma.html
    Last edited by BhoopsB; 08-11-10 at 07:51.

Thanks
    vCash
    Was wondering that myself. Commentator said attendance was 55,000 which is obviously still a huge crowd, but I would have thought there'd be more to be honest

nphoop
    Same here, couldnt believe the empty spaces....seemed to be a fair few empty seats at Cardiff v Swansea too

Thanks
    vCash
    52,121 per Raisport,which would mean it wasnt even the biggest crowd in Serie A this weekend.
    for whatever reason the official crowd at Rome derbys never reaches capacity.its higher when Roma are at home but even still youl see plenty of empty seats.
    i suppose ticket prices in the lateral stands might be off putting for a lot of people.
    maybe one of the regular Romanisti might add their presumably better-informed tuppence to it
    Last edited by srfcanto; 08-11-10 at 12:27.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 433 Posts
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nphoop View Post
    Same here, couldnt believe the empty spaces....seemed to be a fair few empty seats at Cardiff v Swansea too
    Cardiff Swansea was a near sell out as far as I know. Only empty seats I saw were for segregation purposes. Saw the odd empty gone for a pint or a piss seat but that was it.

Roma Lazio very rarely sells out and as pointed out gets more when Roma are at home. €125 for the posh seats and €70 odd for the semi posh seats doesn't help either. Romans get paid a hell of a lot less than we do.

KOH
    Last edited by WeAreRovers; 08-11-10 at 13:04.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WeAreRovers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    vCash
    Those prices are crazy, surely it doesnt't benefit the clubs at all trying to charge that. Looked awful on tv, if you'd just flicked on for a few minutes and didnt get a shot of behind the goals, you'd be forgiven for thinking there was less than 10,000 at it

Thanks
    vCash
    Excellent company down in the Irish section of the Sud yesterday. Hoops having a party for a man who likes his Rome shaken not stirred. A bite to eat and a certain amount of gargle in Beppe Giannini's old haunt Da Ivo on the local side of Trastevere the night before had been followed by a lengthy knacker drinking session to the sound of breaking bottles on the steps of Santa Maria and a trip to the Roma heartland of Campo Testaccio for an elegant nightcap or three.
    Stuffing the bird (and getting pissed on) was the only possible outcome given the amount of Hoops present.
    The odds were stacked against Roma- the perfect scenario for a tasty derby.
    One radio channel today has a song about a pidgeon walking funny on a permanent loop.
    BTW the entire Tribuna Tevere was off-limits to Romanisti following a bit of r-r in recent times.
    That area would've been close to full despite the crazy prices, and the choice to close it down just another in an endless line of measures to try and kill off the game. As for the cost of Monte Mario- about an eighth of a monthly wage in a country in permanent recession.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 433 Posts
    vCash
    Good stuff RR, shame I couldn't be there. Hopefully see you Sunday.

There were plenty of Hoops in the Tribuna for the recent r-r. Some idiot Irish Romanista got us a load of tickets for the 'segregated' bit by the Curva Nord.

KOH

13. The Following User Says Thank You to WeAreRovers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    vCash
    An essential experience surely? Very character building..
    See you on Sunday Sir and in Rome soon I hope.

Thanks
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    Cardiff Swansea was a near sell out as far as I know. Only empty seats I saw were for segregation purposes. Saw the odd empty gone for a pint or a piss seat but that was it.
    Commentator certainly mentioned it was a full house, only noticed at one point during the match that there seemed to be a small part not full, really bad atmosphere in that one though, unfortunately probably due to Cardiff's poor performance.

Thanks
    vCash
    Great trip all things considered, pity about the lack of scontri but not bad for my first Roma derby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm0BUMHNbyw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bMcMZwQK3Y
    Last edited by Trailerpark hoop; 09-11-10 at 14:02.

Thanks
    vCash
    Great game, second half was cracking.

Some great highlights ; Army Band legging it past the Curva Sud at running pace while keeping in step and a certain oldtimer being hooshed over the dividing barriers and caught by Kempes as he fell down the other side.

Many thanks to Romanista, a true Rovers legend.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 975 Posts
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BhoopsB View Post
    What was the story with the crowd, seemed like a lot of empty spaces?

Pics; http://www.asromaultras.org/1011lazioroma.html
    Plenty of Hoops visible in some of those photos.

Quite a large boycott with many groups opting to stay outside. Tribuna Tevere was Tessera holders, males under 14 and over 60 and women. Minister of Interior is basically trying to sanitize Calcio. Lets hope he fails eh. Still an other really enjoyable trip to an amazing city. Cheers again to Romanista for his wonderful hospitality.

Video of those on boycott outside for the first goal

Last edited by Dunster; 09-11-10 at 23:04.
    Armed With A Mind.

Thanks
    vCash
    Everyone wearing a badge or a sharp suit in Italy wants to make Italian football a bland experience and kill Ultras' culture. It saddens me that some Rovers' fans want to neuter the SRFC Ultras (and it's still in its infancy) when being an Ultra is what creating an atmosphere and loving Rovers is all about. Ultras don't see themselves as being bigger than the club, they just want to make the matchday a special experience.
    Fingers crossed we'll turn Lansdowne into a green and white cauldron next Sunday.

Thanks
    vCash
    Does anybody know where i would be able to pick up a Roma home jersey for a Christmas present for the bro in law.
    He was at Roma v Inter in September and loved it. I checked out a couple of websites but they look a bit dodgy i don't want to order one that arrives a week before Christmas and its a fake leaving me stuck.
    Cheers

Thanks
    vCash
    Does anybody know where i would be able to pick up a Roma home jersey for a Christmas present for the bro in law.
    He was at Roma v Inter in September and loved it. I checked out a couple of websites but they look a bit dodgy i don't want to order one that arrives a week before Christmas and its a fake leaving me stuck.
    Cheers

Thanks
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by broadford rover View Post
    Cheers
    Eh, the Roma website - but be prepared to dig deep, Euro 80.00 or so I would say if the shop is anything to go by
    Last edited by joedehoop; 23-11-10 at 19:15.

Thread Information