Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: English football thread

Ste
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    That time of year again for all ABU's to rejoice.

Happy Utd Can't Win The League Day everyone.

17 Points Behind
    5 Games Left.
    That's one of the saddests posts I've seen on here

Thanks
    Thanked 2,819 Times in 1,266 Posts
    vCash
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-30161191.html

Keeping fate in his own hands

Mooney aiming high as winding career path brings stability with promotion-chasing Orient, writes Daniel McDonnell

Daniel McDonnell – Published 07 April 2014 02:30 AM

TEN years ago yesterday, a 19-year-old apprentice electrician made his debut for Shamrock Rovers as a late substitute in an unremarkable draw with Longford Town.

David Mooney only tasted six minutes but he vividly recalls his first impressions of that night in Richmond Park, one of the many grounds that hosted the Hoops in an era where the whole operation was a travelling roadshow.

His lungs told him this was a serious step up from U-21 level.

"I remember coming off the pitch thinking the pace was incredible," he reflected last week.

For a kid who had supported the Hoops in their Tolka Park days, making it to the highest level of Irish club football was a serious buzz, and he had never imagined a future beyond it. Back then, he viewed the sport as a source of supplementary income to his main trade.

A decade on, football is his livelihood. Mooney is the top scoring Irishman in England this season, with 18 goals in all competitions for a Leyton Orient side bound for involvement in May's League One promotion play-offs.

He'd have more if it wasn't for a December injury that checked his momentum and upset his body with a serious of niggles affecting the form levels since his comeback; a broken rib has troubled him in recent weeks but he has persevered.

Now that's he an experienced member of his adopted profession, he has learned that the physical pain often pales in comparison to the mental equivalent.

Rosie, his wife, is expecting their second child later this year, and that has intensified their recurring debate about their future. Home is where the heart is but, in his world, it's not where the lucrative work is.

"Some days we want to go back to Ireland tomorrow," he admits. "Others, we are willing to wait a few years."

Living away has strengthened their identity, a common experience for emigrants in all walks of life.

The primary example is a shared wish that their daughter, Ava, learns Irish. They will take matters into their own hands if they stay in England for a longer haul so that she isn't too far behind the other kids in school when they eventually relocate.

"I think once you're over here in England and away from home, you appreciate more," explains Mooney. "We watch RTE on the internet or we stream it into the TV and even in the ads, we find ourselves saying, 'Ah, isn't Ireland great.' I can't put my finger on it, but no matter how hard you try, you do miss it.

"As it's gone on, we've learned to miss it less but at the start, when things weren't going right, you could easily be forgiven for jacking it all in. When I saw that guy at Ipswich, Shane Supple, who gave it all up and went back – I could see why he did it. When it's not going your way, it's a lonely place."

Mooney's dark days were at Reading. He'd imagined a different career trajectory in 2008 when he arrived in Berkshire on the back of a prolific half-season with Cork, the club he joined as a full-time professional from Longford. Since he'd left cash-strapped Rovers in 2005, every year had brought progress and now he was following the same route as Kevin Doyle and Shane Long and expecting similar success.

Instead, he didn't make a single league appearance in the course of three disillusioning years. Educational loan stints at Norwich, Stoke and Colchester provided respite from an environment where the reality differed from the original promise.

"It felt like you were banging your head off a brick wall," he recalls. Steve Coppell, his first boss, stuck with his existing options. Brendan Rodgers came in the following summer and Mooney enjoyed working with the man even if he remained peripheral.

"The best coach and one of the best man managers you'll ever encounter," he asserts. "He was positive, even when things weren't going well for him."

Rodgers only lasted for six months and Mooney doesn't blame him for his plight. "The seeds were sown before that," he says. "The manager might have changed but everybody else at the club was still the same. I've always wanted to prove those people wrong, that's always been my motivation."

The rejection by his employers coincided with Ava's arrival and it was tough for the new parents. "It was the two of us against the world and the world wasn't with us," he says.

"You know what the Irish are like, we like to be settled and have a routine but we didn't have that. I didn't know where I stood and we didn't have family around that could mind the baby or take her for a night, things you might take for granted for home."

Happiness in all aspects of his life has always been important to a player who thrives on confidence. He embraced mind coaching when his boss at Longford, Alan Mathews, suggested that he speak to Enda McNulty, the ex-Armagh star turned sports psychologist who Mooney knew from his school days at Colaiste Eanna in Ballyboden when their high-profile GAA coach "used to kick me to bits!".

They instantly struck up a rapport that exists to this day. In his current guise, McNulty picks Mooney up from the floor. "I'll forever be indebted to him," says the 29-year-old. "For making me talk and open up and clear demons from my head. When he talks, you listen. His whole message is to not look back, to be positive and stay in the now. We don't talk about 'what might happen if I play for Ireland?' or 'what might happen if I get promotion?' He's on about getting the next goal – that's the most important thing."

Come the summer, he intends to catch up with McNulty in person as opposed to over the phone and discuss his longer-term targets. The international dream lives on, although Mooney is pragmatic enough to concede he will have to be operating on a higher stage to catch Martin O'Neill's eye. With a play-off place assured – a clear improvement from a seventh-placed finish last term – Orient's fate is in their hands.

For a club with an average attendance of just over 5,000, they're doing well in a division with some big spenders. "You've got to give credit to the manager (Russell Slade) and the board," says Mooney.

"They've kept together a group of players that maybe aren't earning what they could do elsewhere. Everyone is giving it their best."

TIGHT-KNIT

In some ways, being part of a tight-knit unit draws parallels with his first dressing-room, a place where he made some good pals. From memory, he can list off the colleagues from his Inchicore baby steps. Stephen Gough was groomsman at his wedding and Liam Kelly and current Hoops boss Trevor Croly were guests. "He still makes me pay in when I go home," he laughs.

One day, he may line out in Ireland again, yet there's more to do in England beforehand. "I've plenty left to give," asserts the clinical finisher better known for a deft touch than a dash of pace. "I don't overly rely on being quick, so getting older shouldn't affect me."

A secure three season stay with Orient has brought stability. The clan live in the town of Hertford, in the shadow of Stansted, close enough to pop into London on a Sunday with the family or take in an Arsenal match when his mate Tony Gibney from the family pub in Malahide visits. They are the simple pleasures.

"You play football and everybody thinks, that's it, you're just a footballer," he muses. "But we're just normal Irish people that try to enjoy life."

The serenity could be tackled if Orient fall short this term and ambitions remains unfulfilled. Mooney has come a long way, but he speaks like a man with a fair distance left to travel.

KOH
    Get the job done

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NY Hoop For This Useful Post:

Senior Member Grays Sports Almanac's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,354 Times in 720 Posts
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    That's one of the saddests posts I've seen on here
    I thought it was funny that it was presented as an "annual" event, when it hasn't happened in 13 out of the last 22 years

Thanks
    Thanked 1,467 Times in 629 Posts
    vCash
    It will be an annual event soon enough. If you're wondering how it came about, it was last posted 2 years ago, as a response to a post earlier that season by carr.

Thanks
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    It will be an annual event soon enough. If you're wondering how it came about, it was last posted 2 years ago, as a response to a post earlier that season by carr.
    I'm pretty sure no one was wondering how it came about.

But in your last two posts you've said Rovers are on the way out of the SC and Man Utd not winning the EPL will become an annual event.. I know you hope that's the case with Utd but why give your own side, Rovers that is, the same level of disdain?

I'll have to manouvre myself in front of someone's Sky subscription today to catch the Liverpool game, should be good. I'm sure there'll be at least one twist left but Liverpool do look as if they can win every game till May.

Koh
    The Hoops are having a "porty"

Thanks
    vCash
    Good piece this with Colchester manager Joe Dunne:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-29950669.html

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Domhnach Bat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    vCash

KOH
    Last edited by NY Hoop; 20-04-14 at 23:48.
    Get the job done

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NY Hoop For This Useful Post:

irelands no.1
    Notts forest give Stephen McLaughlin his first start since joining from Derry against Leeds today.

2nd min and he set up a goal!

EDIT: Live on SS1 if anyone is interested

Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 502 Posts
    vCash
    At a time when Manchester United fans are feeling sorry for themselves after a long-suffering season, Rochdale are on the verge of success and Oldham Athletic are trying desperately to keep third level status for the 18th consecutive season, this table illustrates those clubs that know what real long-suffering is all about.
    http://www.warrenunited.net/rochdale...-man-utd-last/

Thanks
    vCash
    On the one hand there is the model professional Stephen McPhail, on the other hand there is Emmanuel Frimpong (who he?).
    http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/spor...t-9106184.html

Thanks
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 800 Posts
    vCash
    Meanwhile at Chelsea.....

Thanks
    vCash
    All their money and they cant even spell. And tranmere got relegated

KOH
    Get the job done

Thanks
    vCash
    From someone with too much time on his hands :
    In 1966 -
    Austria won the Eurovision Song Contest
    Atletico won La Liga
    The FA Cup was won 3-2 after being 0-2 down
    Real Madrid won Europa Cup 1

England for the World Cup 2014 !
    "Great supine protoplasmic invertebrate jellies"!

Thanks
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holland Hoop View Post
    From someone with too much time on his hands :
    In 1966 -
    Austria won the Eurovision Song Contest
    Atletico won La Liga
    The FA Cup was won 3-2 after being 0-2 down
    Real Madrid won Europa Cup 1

England for the World Cup 2014 !
    More to the point. Rovers led the league for a lot of the season but were overtaken in the last few weeks. They won the cup though.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to D15 Hoop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    vCash

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-stadium.html

Group of cyclists on Hillsborough charity ride have 30,000 of bikes and clothing stolen... in Anfield

Irish cyclists were in Liverpool to support victims of Hillsborough tragedy
    The six had parked van near Anfield stadium to enjoy a tour of the club
    But on return their bikes, equipment and clothes worth 30,000 were gone
    Hillsborough campaigners have been left 'disgusted' by the theft

By Daily Mail Reporter

Published: 22:10 GMT, 29 June 2014 | Updated: 10:19 GMT, 30 June 2014

A group of Irish cyclists who travelled to Liverpool to raise money for the victims of the Hillsborough disaster had their bikes stolen – outside Anfield.

The six intended to take part in a 96km charity ride across the city to mark the 25th anniversary of the tragedy that left 96 football fans dead.

But after taking a tour of Liverpool FC’s Anfield stadium, they returned to find their bikes, equipment and clothing worth more than 30,000 had been stolen from their van, which was parked nearby.

The cyclists were doing a tour of Anfield Stadium, pictured, in Liverpool when their bikes, worth 30,000, were stolen from a van parked nearby

The team were all members of the charity Cycle 4 Sick Children and were fundraising for families of the 96 Liverpool football fans died at Hillsborough in 1989 killed in Britain’s worst ever sporting disaster.

Last night campaigners spoke of their shock and disgust at the theft of the bikes.

James Leech of the Justice for the 96 campaign said: ‘This is a truly despicable crime.

‘These six fundraisers were riding in support of a charity and deserve to be welcomed to Liverpool - they were guests in our city for a good cause.

Instead they were left stranded without their bikes. It really is sick.’

The van, pictured with its windows smashed, was parked near Liverpool FC's Anfield stadium when the theft took place - as the cyclists were enjoying a tour of the club

On the Hillsborough Family Support Group page on Facebook, fellow campaigners were equally horrified.

Paula Oulton said: ‘Not everyone in Liverpool is like the scum that did this, please don’t tar us all with the same brush. I find this disgusting, disgraceful and totally unacceptable behaviour and the robbers should be public ally named, shamed and flogged.’

Maxine Gibbs said: ‘Let’s hope the thief who took them can read so they see this disgusting act. In time one of their kids could be using that charity. What comes around goes around.’

Liam Murphy, who along with his wife Stacey founded of the charity after their daughter was diagnosed with a rare heart condition, said they were all devastated and begged the thieves to return the bikes.

He said: ‘When we came out from the stadium we discovered the van window had been smashed and all bikes, passports, equipment and cash had been stolen. I feel sick to the stomach actually.

‘It’s really hard to put in words what this has done to us as we were over here to support the victims of Hillsborough.

‘With it being the 25th anniversary and so many of us being Liverpool fans, it is a subject that is close to our heart but this has just devastated us.’

The 96 kilometre bike ride was due to take place across Merseyside with all the money raised going to the charity.

The Irish cyclists, pictured before the theft took place, were in Liverpool to support victims of the Hillsborough tragedy

Mr Murphy said the theft left them without any cash and they were forced to return home yesterday.

Police have given descriptions of the stolen bikes to all officers in the area and have pledged to do 'whatever it takes' to help the riders take part in the race.

Chief Inspector Chris Hitchell said: ‘This is an absolutely terrible thing to happen to anyone visiting our city but it is made worse by the fact that this group are here to raise money for charity and a cause which is dear to so many Liverpudlians’ hearts.

He added: ‘Everything possible will be done to identify the offenders responsible for this despicable theft and I would call on people within the local area to help us get these bikes back quickly.

One of the bikes stolen in a haul of equipment and clothing worth 30,000

‘All five are very distinctive and I would urge anyone who knows where they are being hidden or offered for sale to do the decent and honourable thing and call the police or Crimestoppers.’

‘The victims have travelled all the way over from Ireland to raise money for the families of the Hillsborough victims and they are understandably distraught at what has happened.

‘We and the community will do whatever we can to help them so that they can still take part in tomorrow’s ride.’

KOH
    Get the job done

Thanks
    vCash
    Good enough for the cunts!!

Thanks
    vCash
    First Mike Ashley, now Pele...

Thanks
    vCash

Thanks
    vCash
    Renewed the fantasy league on the Premier League site.

Code to join is 34527-11622
    I wanted to ask you Floyd if you don't mind. In my last fight before I knocked out George Groves at Wembley Stadium in front of 80,000 fans, I worked a lot on power. So I did a lot of swimming, and I chopped down a few trees myself, and then I held my feet and then I knocked him out. And I'm not known as a one punch knock-out man. Have you been doing that yourself a little bit? Working on power?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Domhnach Bat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    vCash
    Oldham have to get past Weston-super-Mare or Doncaster before possibly taking on the big boys, but Paddy Power seems to know something nobody else does.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cousins's Dozens For This Useful Post:

Thread Information