Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland Watch

matburton
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperlunch View Post
    Did that gobshite Davy Kehoe just kiss McGeady on the cheek?
    http://youtu.be/YDROjeV1C0w

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,467 Times in 629 Posts
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by karlsruhe hoop
    Read somewhere earlier that it will be seeded. Bit of a departure by UEFA, making that decision BEFORE they know which teams are involved. In any case - seeding is mad. Stupid for teams to break their bollocks (in some cases) to make second place, only to be told that they are regarded as minnows when it comes to the play-offs. Should be an open draw. As in, really open. Not UEFA "open".
    Every European and International draw is seeded, I just wish there were no playoffs at all. Hate them, always did. The fact an away goal, penalties, or in our case a handball, in one game, decides 15-months work is wrong. Whether we benefit or not from it, I'd still say the same.

Slovakia fell off the wagon after winning in Russia. Russia have qualified and fair dues to them. They won in Slovakia and here, so they deserve to be in the finals. We'll hand them over to the Nordie Brits in the next campaign and see if they can do any better.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 398 Posts
    vCash
    I hate seeding when it's deep into a campaign, as this always is for Ireland, I know it's only the beginning for the bigger nations.

I remember when Man.United were beaten by AC Milan in the last 16 of the Champions League several years ago, David Gill said UEFA should seed the teams instead of group winners vs runners-up.

That summed it up. Qualification is supposed to prevent games like Australia 31-0 American Samoa. Seeding is supposed to prevent four or five nations with good results and history from being drawn in the same qualification group and denying them a chance of making the finals.

But after a year and a bit, seeding in a playoff with eight teams....seriously now.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,398 Times in 1,381 Posts
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Every European and International draw is seeded, I just wish there were no playoffs at all. Hate them, always did. The fact an away goal, penalties, or in our case a handball, in one game, decides 15-months work is wrong. Whether we benefit or not from it, I'd still say the same.

Slovakia fell off the wagon after winning in Russia. Russia have qualified and fair dues to them. They won in Slovakia and here, so they deserve to be in the finals. We'll hand them over to the Nordie Brits in the next campaign and see if they can do any better.
    Since when exactly? UEFA used to wait and see how the results panned out before deciding. Corrupt cunts.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,858 Times in 954 Posts
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperlunch View Post
    Did that gobshite Davy Kehoe just kiss McGeady on the cheek?
    Hope I live longer than that knob. The day he kicks the bucket I'll be hanging a 'Davy Kehoe says Goodbye' flag out the window

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Nelson
    I think Ireland are going to be one of the top seeds if they finish second.

Thanks
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by karlsruhe hoop
    Since when exactly? UEFA used to wait and see how the results panned out before deciding. Corrupt cunts.
    Every CL draw is seeded, every EL draw is seeded, every International Qualifying draw in every region is seeded, every tournament finals draw from the group stage to the semi-final is seeded. In most cup draws around the world, there are restrictions in place at some point. That's the way it's always been done.

In this qualifying campaign, it was announced before the start that there would be playoffs and they would be seeded. So they are. For me, the group phase should be the only decider on who makes the finals and who doesn't. At least for the next Euros, the top two in each group go through automatically.

Thanks
    vCash
    Every CL draw is seeded, every EL draw is seeded, every International Qualifying draw in every region is seeded, every tournament finals draw from the group stage to the semi-final is seeded. In most cup draws around the world, there are restrictions in place at some point. That's the way it's always been done.

In this qualifying campaign, it was announced before the start that there would be playoffs and they would be seeded. So they are. For me, the group phase should be the only decider on who makes the finals and who doesn't. At least for the next Euros, the top two in each group go through automatically.
    Totally wrong. There was the case a few years back (can't remember exactly when this early in the morning) when Ireland made the play-offs and UEFA suddenly announced for the first time that the play-offs would be seeded - which was a huge disadvantage to Ireland. Ireland protested vehemently and UEFA backed down. However, when the draw for the play-offs was made, it was EXACTLY as if it had been seeded, EXACTLY as UEFA had wanted it. What's the chances of that happening??? One of the headlines next day in the papers was "Hot Balls, Cold Balls".

Ireland were thrown into the lions den of Turkey and lost the play-offs.

Thanks
    vCash
    Ok, I'll be more specific then. Every draw since Euro 2000 playoffs has been seeded. Then again, if we defended that corner in Skopje, we wouldn't have needed any playoffs in the first place.

The draw came out then as it did. And there's absolutely no 100% guarantee it would be different with a seeded draw. Gary Lineker did a UEFA draw last year, and told the audience there and then, that all the balls were room temperature. All the balls are the same temperature every time, you take what you get, and you make the best of it. Most of the time, the draws people think they'll get, are different to what they do get.

Thanks
    vCash
    Ok, I'll be more specific then.
    That isn't "more specific". That's right, as opposed to totally wrong before. The forum could save several Gigabytes of web space every year if you would just admit that you are wrong sometimes.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to karlsruhe hoop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    vCash
    Gary Lineker did a UEFA draw last year, and told the audience there and then, that all the balls were room temperature.
    Like he's never cheated before

Thanks
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Hope I live longer than that knob. The day he kicks the bucket I'll be hanging a 'Davy Kehoe says Goodbye' flag out the window
    Got home and caught the last few depressing minutes of the match, but holy fuck watching that weirdo kiss McGeady was just too funny, what a knob end he is.
    Attack! Attack! Attack Attack Attack!

Thanks
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    It's a toss-up between him and Hunter for the worst gobshite supporting Ireland.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mypost For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    vCash
    It's a toss-up between him and Hunter for the worst gobshite supporting Ireland.
    Hunter turned up on the Joe Duffy show again yesterday. Felt that his input was required over the hot topic of why Robbie Keane was seen singing in a Malahide pub the night before. Had nothing to add to the conversation of course, but just loves the sound of his own voice.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,813 Times in 1,263 Posts
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by karlsruhe hoop View Post
    Hunter turned up on the Joe Duffy show again yesterday. Felt that his input was required over the hot topic of why Robbie Keane was seen singing in a Malahide pub the night before. Had nothing to add to the conversation of course, but just loves the sound of his own voice.
    Says it all about the media here.

Talking to a real fan yesterday who was in Andorra. Apparantly no shortage of tickets and the CEO was roaring drunk. Carry on.

KOH
    Get the job done

Thanks
    vCash
    Current Playoff Seedings

Pot 1
    Croatia
    Sweden
    Ireland
    Bosnia

Pot 2
    Scotland
    Belgium
    Montenegro
    Estonia

As it is now, everyone in that Pot 2 can pose problems. Montenegro have got 4 points from 4 games against Ireland and England in the past 4 years. Scotland games are always tight, the last one last May, when they could have drawn. We have a troubled history against the Belgians. Beat us in the 82 qualifiers and put us out of WC '98, while we got a point out there in 86 in the last minute on the way to Germany. Estonia on paper look the weakest of the 4, but after almost being embarrassed at home to the Faroes in their first game, they've finished their qualifiers well in a tight group (Italy apart). Still you would have to fancy us to win, with the second leg at home.

However, there will probably be a change or two before the final list is known. I think the Czechs will pip Scotland to the runners-up in their group, Estonia may also miss out to the Serbs. Leekens said his team have "no chance" against Germany, so Turkey could nick the spot off them tonight also, and if there are changes, the pots will be shuffled up again.

Thanks
    vCash
    Still a fair few second place permutations in the mix:

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro2012/standings/index.html

Thanks
    vCash
    Cox starting today ahead of long ..... Long starting for west brom and cox being the bench warmer how does this joker pick his teams?

finglashoop
    Quote Originally Posted by JK-SRFC View Post
    Cox starting today ahead of long ..... Long starting for west brom and cox being the bench warmer how does this joker pick his teams?
    Dunno but i went for Armenia -1 12/1

Thanks
    Thanked 2,581 Times in 470 Posts
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Hoop View Post
    Says it all about the media here.

Talking to a real fan yesterday who was in Andorra. Apparantly no shortage of tickets and the CEO was roaring drunk. Carry on.
    That's fairly standard.

Davy Keogh was on Morning Ireland this morning. Possibly the most inane radio interview I've ever heard.

Thread Information