Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 1563

Thread: The collective GAA thread

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member WeAreRovers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,195
    Thanks
    700
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 433 Posts
    vCash
    500

    The collective GAA thread

    It breaks my heart to have to report that according to my Dublin GAA mole Thomas Davis are in serious financial trouble. They're having an EGM next week to discuss the funding crisis. Apparently they haven't even paid their county board affiliation fees. Loking very bad for them. Ain't karma a bitch?

    KOH


  2. #2
    Senior Member Hano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,154
    Thanks
    104
    Thanked 965 Times in 331 Posts
    vCash
    168

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    279
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 100 Times in 52 Posts
    vCash
    20
    has kennedy paid his legal bill yet.

    thomas davis in financial trouble , oh happy days, oh happy days. so sad, he he he

  4. #4
    Ste
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    It breaks my heart to have to report that according to my Dublin GAA mole Thomas Davis are in serious financial trouble. They're having an EGM next week to discuss the funding crisis. Apparently they haven't even paid their county board affiliation fees. Loking very bad for them. Ain't karma a bitch?

    KOH
    A bit like bohs, I'm sure the mother ship will lend a hand

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 52 Times in 32 Posts
    vCash
    606
    wouldnt be so sure this time ste,there are clubs all over ireland looking for a dig out from croke park

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Guest



    WWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

  7. #7
    Senior Member Grays Sports Almanac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,643
    Thanks
    2,297
    Thanked 2,332 Times in 708 Posts
    vCash
    500

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grays Sports Almanac For This Useful Post:


  9. #8
    Senior Member karlsruhe hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,797
    Thanks
    2,249
    Thanked 3,395 Times in 1,379 Posts
    vCash
    20


    Yesterday's Indo reports that the GAA aren't exactly flush right now - particularly because millions upon millions (of GAA money and lottery funding) were wasted on ridiculous vanity projects. Even now it makes my blood boil to think that the cunts wanted to annex Tallaght Stadium - making it yet ANOTHER pointless, rarely used GAA ground. Cunts. Karma is a bitch alright.

    -----

    Recession putting GAA's wastage into sharp focus

    Eugene McGee
    February 14 2011


    Money, particularly the lack of it, is dominating Irish life like never before, now that the country has deteriorated to a shocking degree. Emigration by young people is rampant and we have not yet reached the lowest point in our misery by any means.

    A huge national organisation like the GAA is bound to be seriously affected by this downturn and all over the country there are signs of this.

    Already county boards have drastically reduced their expenditure on preparing county teams and one can only wonder at the extent of the wastage that applied in recent years when we see some counties reducing their team expenses by over €100,000.

    The GAA was absolutely awash with money in recent times and there is no doubt a lot of it was poorly spent. This applied particularly to over-elaborate facilities such as stadiums, clubhouses and equipment.

    Investing in all these things probably seemed a good idea at the time because many facilities were little short of barbaric less then 20 years ago, with showerless dressing-rooms; pathetic toilet facilities -- particularly for females -- at many county grounds; lack of covered stands, and inadequate scoreboards -- or none at all -- at venues, among other things.

    Many GAA clubs and counties may have been slow learners when it came to rectifying these inadequacies but, with the rising tide of economic activity, this changed rapidly and it then became a status symbol for a club or a county to have better facilities than their neighbours.

    At national level over the past quarter of a century, the thoughtless nature of expanding large stadiums should have been the first warning sign for the GAA. Initially, planning for such stadiums was willy-nilly, with each county board doing its own thing and the bodies who were part-financing these developments -- provincial councils and Central Council -- seeming to have little function apart from writing out the cheques for grants.

    That was why we arrived at a stage where we had too many stadiums catering for very large crowds that are hardly ever filled to capacity and where the facilities for spectators, and often players too, were already behind the times.

    The dressing-rooms in Pairc Ui Chaoimh, for example, were about a quarter of the size of what modern dressing-rooms should be. Large expensive stadiums -- like Killarney and Portlaoise, costing millions -- have been grossly under-utilised and have hardly ever been full for games.

    Clubs, too, undertook gigantic fund-raising events to provide elaborate buildings and numerous other facilities -- even creches -- with not a lot of thought put into their long-term usage.

    Invariably, the various GAA units got a lot of these things wrong through lack of proper planning -- although it has to be said that the vast majority were outstanding successes, copper-fastened the position of the local GAA club in their communities and left them the envy of other sports.

    Yet despite all that spending on facilities nationwide, there were some major gaps left in several areas.

    The Ulster Council, for example, have played some Ulster finals in Croke Park in the last decade because of the inadequate capacity at Clones or Casement Park.

    But Ulster have now taken steps to rectify that by redeveloping Casement Park and every county in the province also has a county ground of the highest quality now.

    Dublin County Board has never managed to provide a small stadium worthy of the capital city, capable of holding at least 25,000. And Waterford GAA has yet to come up with a stadium to match the other Munster counties to such an extent that there was talk -- but only talk -- of playing big Munster hurling games involving Waterford in Nowlan Park, Kilkenny. What heresy!

    Louth has yet to provide a worthy county ground to cater for home championship games of significance and it was only last week that Armagh eventually launched their excellent new stadium in Armagh city.

    What this sort of haphazard development around Ireland shows is that strategic long-term planning, 20 to 40 years in advance, has not been the GAA's strong point. Big grounds went to strong counties who had clout in raising finance rather than the actual needs of the GAA nationally.

    For instance, we have four grounds in Munster capable of holding 40,000-plus crowds but are they all really necessary or properly utilised? At the same time we have no such stadium in all of Leinster bar Croke Park itself. The Leinster Council is now addressing this situation, probably by expanding Portlaoise so that it can stage Leinster hurling finals.

    State of the art floodlighting is the newest fad in the GAA -- an excellent idea of course but only if its usage is maximised. There are some lights in place which are only used a dozen times a year.

    What plans has the GAA or its various county boards to maximise the use of these expensive lights, costing between half a million and a million euro, apart from a few league games? Does every county board really need floodlighting?

    'Centres of Excellence' -- training grounds in effect -- are also all the rage and some counties have spent millions on these ventures. Hopefully they will be well used.

    In recent years, the GAA, at Croke Park level, has moved in to take a hands-on role in major developments around Ireland. The availability of the millions garnered from rugby and soccer games in Croke Park has allowed them to have a say in allocating this money through grants.

    Better planning will now take place and tighter budgeting will keep a rein on county boards -- and about time too, as a few counties barely stayed afloat in recent years and some others are still on the verge.

    The GAA has a lot to learn about using money -- based on past events -- but the dire economic situation now, and in the coming years, will surely teach many a GAA unit a very hard lesson -- which will do no harm.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to karlsruhe hoop For This Useful Post:


  11. #9
    Senior Member patohoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    2,184
    Thanks
    1,785
    Thanked 2,732 Times in 862 Posts
    vCash
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by karlsruhe hoop View Post
    Money, particularly the lack of it, is dominating Irish life like never before, now that the country has deteriorated to a shocking degree. Emigration by young people is rampant and we have not yet reached the lowest point in our misery by any means.

    A huge national organisation like the GAA is bound to be seriously affected by this downturn and all over the country there are signs of this.

    Already county boards have drastically reduced their expenditure on preparing county teams and one can only wonder at the extent of the wastage that applied in recent years when we see some counties reducing their team expenses by over €100,000.

    The GAA was absolutely awash with money in recent times and there is no doubt a lot of it was poorly spent. This applied particularly to over-elaborate facilities such as stadiums, clubhouses and equipment.

    Investing in all these things probably seemed a good idea at the time because many facilities were little short of barbaric less then 20 years ago, with showerless dressing-rooms; pathetic toilet facilities -- particularly for females -- at many county grounds; lack of covered stands, and inadequate scoreboards -- or none at all -- at venues, among other things.

    Many GAA clubs and counties may have been slow learners when it came to rectifying these inadequacies but, with the rising tide of economic activity, this changed rapidly and it then became a status symbol for a club or a county to have better facilities than their neighbours.

    At national level over the past quarter of a century, the thoughtless nature of expanding large stadiums should have been the first warning sign for the GAA. Initially, planning for such stadiums was willy-nilly, with each county board doing its own thing and the bodies who were part-financing these developments -- provincial councils and Central Council -- seeming to have little function apart from writing out the cheques for grants.

    That was why we arrived at a stage where we had too many stadiums catering for very large crowds that are hardly ever filled to capacity and where the facilities for spectators, and often players too, were already behind the times.

    The dressing-rooms in Pairc Ui Chaoimh, for example, were about a quarter of the size of what modern dressing-rooms should be. Large expensive stadiums -- like Killarney and Portlaoise, costing millions -- have been grossly under-utilised and have hardly ever been full for games.

    Clubs, too, undertook gigantic fund-raising events to provide elaborate buildings and numerous other facilities -- even creches -- with not a lot of thought put into their long-term usage.

    Invariably, the various GAA units got a lot of these things wrong through lack of proper planning -- although it has to be said that the vast majority were outstanding successes, copper-fastened the position of the local GAA club in their communities and left them the envy of other sports.

    Yet despite all that spending on facilities nationwide, there were some major gaps left in several areas.

    The Ulster Council, for example, have played some Ulster finals in Croke Park in the last decade because of the inadequate capacity at Clones or Casement Park.

    But Ulster have now taken steps to rectify that by redeveloping Casement Park and every county in the province also has a county ground of the highest quality now.

    Dublin County Board has never managed to provide a small stadium worthy of the capital city, capable of holding at least 25,000. And Waterford GAA has yet to come up with a stadium to match the other Munster counties to such an extent that there was talk -- but only talk -- of playing big Munster hurling games involving Waterford in Nowlan Park, Kilkenny. What heresy!

    Louth has yet to provide a worthy county ground to cater for home championship games of significance and it was only last week that Armagh eventually launched their excellent new stadium in Armagh city.

    What this sort of haphazard development around Ireland shows is that strategic long-term planning, 20 to 40 years in advance, has not been the GAA's strong point. Big grounds went to strong counties who had clout in raising finance rather than the actual needs of the GAA nationally.

    For instance, we have four grounds in Munster capable of holding 40,000-plus crowds but are they all really necessary or properly utilised? At the same time we have no such stadium in all of Leinster bar Croke Park itself. The Leinster Council is now addressing this situation, probably by expanding Portlaoise so that it can stage Leinster hurling finals.

    State of the art floodlighting is the newest fad in the GAA -- an excellent idea of course but only if its usage is maximised. There are some lights in place which are only used a dozen times a year.

    What plans has the GAA or its various county boards to maximise the use of these expensive lights, costing between half a million and a million euro, apart from a few league games? Does every county board really need floodlighting?

    'Centres of Excellence' -- training grounds in effect -- are also all the rage and some counties have spent millions on these ventures. Hopefully they will be well used.

    In recent years, the GAA, at Croke Park level, has moved in to take a hands-on role in major developments around Ireland. The availability of the millions garnered from rugby and soccer games in Croke Park has allowed them to have a say in allocating this money through grants.

    Better planning will now take place and tighter budgeting will keep a rein on county boards -- and about time too, as a few counties barely stayed afloat in recent years and some others are still on the verge.

    The GAA has a lot to learn about using money -- based on past events -- but the dire economic situation now, and in the coming years, will surely teach many a GAA unit a very hard lesson -- which will do no harm.
    Be nice to think of this the next time I'm getting a lecture of the business excellence of the GAA.

  12. #10
    nphoop
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by patohoop View Post
    Be nice to think of this the next time I'm getting a lecture of the business excellence of the GAA.
    Yes, or indeed when I hear the experts criticise the alleged economic inadequacies of others

  13. #11
    Senior Member father ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin 25
    Posts
    1,364
    Thanks
    638
    Thanked 702 Times in 276 Posts
    vCash
    0
    Dont some sayings come back to haunt you....LAST MAN STANDING!
    The harder I practice the luckier I get.

  14. #12
    nphoop
    Guest
    We should offer to help them out....

    karma works both ways and we would reap rewards in the end.

  15. #13
    barrytownhoop
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nphoop View Post
    We should offer to help them out....

    karma works both ways and we would reap rewards in the end.
    Hahahaha brilliant idea the publicity garnished would be excellent. Maybe a bucket collection at half time in our first game should raise enough to provide them with enough lemons for there half time refreshments the bitter c***s!!

  16. #14
    Senior Member father ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin 25
    Posts
    1,364
    Thanks
    638
    Thanked 702 Times in 276 Posts
    vCash
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nphoop View Post
    We should offer to help them out....

    karma works both ways and we would reap rewards in the end.
    Now you are taking the piss!
    The harder I practice the luckier I get.

  17. #15
    Senior Member 1724's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    leixlip
    Posts
    803
    Thanks
    1,777
    Thanked 370 Times in 176 Posts
    vCash
    20
    SONG
    The famous Shamrock Rovers went to Rome to see the Pope
    The famous Shamrock Rovers went to Rome to see the Pope
    The famous Shamrock Rovers went to Rome to see the Pope
    And this is what he said
    Who the fuck are Thomas Davis
    Who the fuck are Thomas Davis
    Who the fuck are Thomas Davis
    And the HOOPS GO MARCHING ON ON ON
    Last edited by 1724; 17-02-11 at 20:16.
    Tallaght Home of the HOOPS,

  18. #16
    Super Moderator joedehoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland, Ireland
    Posts
    506
    Thanks
    221
    Thanked 388 Times in 148 Posts
    vCash
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by 1624 View Post
    SONG
    The famous Shamrock Rovers went to Rome to see the Pope
    The famous Shamrock Rovers went to Rome to see the Pope
    And this is what he said
    Who the fuck are Thomas Davis
    Who the fuck are Thomas Davis
    What air would you sing that to 1624 ?
    Verde fine alla morti

  19. #17
    Senior Member 1724's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    leixlip
    Posts
    803
    Thanks
    1,777
    Thanked 370 Times in 176 Posts
    vCash
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by joedehoop View Post
    What air would you sing that to 1624 ?
    The Battle Hymn Of The Republic (John Browns Body)
    Also see edit.
    Tallaght Home of the HOOPS,

  20. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,607
    Thanks
    425
    Thanked 579 Times in 263 Posts
    vCash
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by 1624 View Post
    SONG
    The famous Shamrock Rovers went to Rome to see the Pope
    The famous Shamrock Rovers went to Rome to see the Pope
    And this is what he said
    Who the fuck are Thomas Davis
    Who the fuck are Thomas Davis
    why did we go to Rome and why would we want to see the pope? whats he ever done for Rovers? where was he in 2005?

  21. #19
    Senior Member 1724's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    leixlip
    Posts
    803
    Thanks
    1,777
    Thanked 370 Times in 176 Posts
    vCash
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by srfcanto View Post
    why did we go to Rome and why would we want to see the pope? whats he ever done for Rovers? where was he in 2005?
    why did we go to Rome? To see the Pope
    Why would we want to see the Pope? Well If you are in Rome its the thing to do
    Whats he ever done for Rovers? Herd he is not a Byrne Munic Fan So he was cheering for us all them years ago.
    Where was he in 2005. In Germany I think.

    And the Hoops Go Marching ON ON ON
    Last edited by 1724; 17-02-11 at 20:26.
    Tallaght Home of the HOOPS,

  22. #20
    Senior Member BhoopsB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,396
    Thanks
    640
    Thanked 453 Times in 213 Posts
    vCash
    40
    Speaking of, how many fucking times were the Gah mentioned in the debate last night!? It was unreal.
    Attack! Attack! Attack Attack Attack!

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BhoopsB For This Useful Post:


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •